Melee weapon for CQC

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Jager 602
CE Official Supporter

Re: Melee weapon for CQC

Post by Jager 602 »

Competition or no, I gotta get these thoughts out. Currently, we have:

Unarmed Lvl 0 Dmg 5-10
Basic sidearm Lvl 10 Dmg 8-15
Zane Sidearm Lvl 15 DMg 10-24
Electro GS Stunner Lvl 20 Dmg 12-27
DL42 Lvl 25 Dmg 15-30

To these I'd like to propose adding the following (Thanks to Akkamaddi for the baton and energy canister idea):

MBT 40 'Imp' Lvl 20 Dmg 7-12, tool bonus 3%

The Imp is a civilian version of the standard military Marine Boarding Tool. The actuated gripper claw on the end assists explorers in maintaining their position while in derelicts and includes a spreader for opening doors, containers; the entire tool is also hardened to withstand the rigors of being used as a weapon, saving more than one desparate marine's (and explorer's) life.

Lobo Lvl 30 Dmg 10-15, tool bonus 6%

The Lobo is an updated version of the Imp; in addition to the gripper/spreader combo, the other end is extendable and is spiked, allowing explorers to secure themselves across longer open spaces, areas without readily available grip points, poke and prod dangerous-looking objects (and enemies) from greater distances, etc.

Akkamaddian Space Baton Lvl 40 Dmg 10-20(powered) 5-15(unpowered), tool bonus 5%

This version of stun baton differs from planet-side verions, aside from being extendable well over six feet, in that explorers can carry larger, more useful energy canisters to power them. As a result, the charge dilvered is powerful enough to disrupt electronics on enemy spacesuits, short-circuit suspicious power terminals, etc. when the energy canister is expended, the baton relies on its own internal charge, which while still dangerous, does not cause quite the same damage.

Arc-knife Lvl 50 Dmg 15-25(powered) 10-15(umpowered), Tool bonus 10%

The arc-knife takes several useful fetures of older boarding tools and adds a small plasma blade to the extendable end. The blade can quickly cut through debris, spars, enemies, etc., clearing a path through a derelict and getting explorers to their goals with less hassle. Using canisters to charge the tool results in a hotter, more effective cutting arc. Without a canister, the blade is powered by the tool's internal stores- not as powerful, but usually able to get through an exploration attempt before needing to be recharged.

For the weapons, the idea is still that ranged weapons would be better for most combat situations, and would require less training/skill to use; thus, the higher levels on the melee weapons. The damages are approximations that can be adjusted if they are deemed too high/low. As for the canisters below, a number of future items could use them, and since we don't know their levels, we would leave the energy canister levels more in line with sidearm ammo.

Energy canisters: (Not exactly sure how to figure out precise stats or crafting materials)
small Lvl 10, 30 energy- available at Sven's?
medium Lvl 20, 50 energy- craftable
large Lvl 30, 100 energy- craftable
CE Lvl 30, 200 energy- CE Store

Well, these are my thoughts so far- I wanted to draw the weapons, but I'm not much good art-wise. I'll see if I can get my brother to draw something for me...
A plaque on both your horses.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Some great ideas there, be great to have this type of stuff to review when i get to updating that sections. Great work. Keep it up guys.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

For items with low damage and big tools bonus: better choice is cybernetic hand (with Brass knuckles combo?), as it punch, not stab (no need to edit combat text) (unless you introduce higher level cutting weapons, lol)

I'd like top weapons (or top no ammo weapons) to be rewards from NPC missions, not simple crafted items :)

There are Combat skills (speed, aim, etc), we could use them as requirements, not lvl
Jager 602
CE Official Supporter

Post by Jager 602 »

I thought about gauntlets but I was unsure of how they would jive with the spacesuits. We could have a level 10 gauntlet that doesn't increase damage but gives a tool bonus, perhaps? Or move items and stats around. The skills/mission line idea is cool- maybe give out the first one like they do with armor after a certain number of explorations?
A plaque on both your horses.
XPLODE

Post by XPLODE »

Ultima in space!

W40K is fine too.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

1) If we like NPC missions, we could do some roleplay.
Now, When you starts CQC career you always spot one enemy. After X CQC kills you have chance to find two in one combat (rewards are higher too, btw). Then, X +100 wins could unlock NPC mission chain, which gives you better weapon(s). Perhaps, after Y wins you unlock three enemies, and after Y+1000 you'll have chance to get ever better weapon. perhaps something alse could unlock events too, like 100% profficiency or so...

2) We are talking about weapons, but can we have another Tool - Stun gun? to use it one would have to sacrifice tools (or sled, lol). Severely weakened enemy could be stunned (with some chance, like (50-remaining_HP)% , ofc), and delivered to local sheriff (NPC). Reward could be payed for "Each and any", or only for required ones (so NPC mission chain, or random, courier-like, missions. Or both :) ) Or even for stunned in certain Systems/galaxies.
Variation for Planets, but require more graphics :( - introduce Animals as enemies. If you kill one, you can get Animal Skins :). But also you can take mission from NPC on certain skins, then Killing right animal you'll get mission item (Skin, meat, horn, etc). Second NPC could use live animals, so stun gun would be required again :)
Adam Smith

Post by Adam Smith »

As someone who's just equipped their last ammo pack I wouldn't mind seeing .....

A Dr. Who sonic screwdriver would be neat. Huge tool bonus with good damage against rogue cyborgs, but your average baseball bat wielding human just laughs at it, meaning they never hit you. Of course it would also do nothing against humans or other biological entities.

A Needler MK 2 that's just 1-2 points weaker in damage than the regular needler, but has a bayonet type blade that can be pulled from the casing - hence the reason it doesn't have as much firepower. When the player is out of ammo the bayonet would give a boost to melee damage based on combat stats.

An entirely new type of engineered consumable - a variety of hand grenades. Unfortunately, while they would have huge damage, they would also have a chance of destroying the debris/tech loot from the npc.

A void pulse cannon (or just a mega gun) that fires shells of explosive gas at a npc. The fuel would be biofuel so no ammo needed.
pikolinianita

Post by pikolinianita »

Like biofuel idea, one more reason to make corporation, lol,

Grenades would be fun, use 2-3 ammo but hurts all enemies in the room... or 4-6 ammo, does double damage, took 2 combat turns to use, enemy has certain chance to fleee...