Coops, go big! Sell a star!

Make a suggestion & let the community sound it out. Almost all the best activities in game came initially from a player suggestion!
Akkamaddi
CE Official Supporter

Coops, go big! Sell a star!

Post by Akkamaddi »

Ok, wild and crazy idea. I have no idea if this would pay off or be worth the trouble.

Coops, sell a star.

Make a new small galaxy, like Anvil or Forge, with five or seven or so systems. Give each system at least three planets. Sprinkle in an asteroid belt and a starbase or two. Make it the Lost Colony of Earth, people who tried the one-way jump to escape earth, before issues were discovered with the technology and it became a way to eject convicts and political prisoners from The Core.

And sell the naming rights to the community.

140£ = You name the galaxy, 18 months PA, 20,000 fuel
100£ = You name one system, 12 months PA, 12,000 fuel
50£ = You name one location in a system (planet, starbase, asteroid belt, Nebula?), 4 months PA, 4,000 fuel
40£ = Decide one of the three systems that has a wormhole, 3 months PA, 3,000 fuel (make sure at least one is not in Expanse, or sell two and you pick one)

(monthly sales code does not apply to price)

I know that there would be issues doing this through the store. You would have to be up front with naming rules ("You cannot have 'Starbase Big Knockers'. Period."). Have in writing that a player who refuses to negotiate on the name in good faith gets PA and fuel, but forfeits naming rights and there are no refunds. I know British libel laws are very, to be tactful, "different" than those here in the US, so a "don't even try these" list would be necessary. Someone who tries to be a troll would get a lot of PA and fuel and a warm handshake and thank you at the exit. Then, re-sell the option. You would also have to be up front with programmatic naming restrictions, like no apostrophes or diacritics (accented characters).

The new system could even have a few new techs and a few new resources. Do a 20£ / +1PA / +1000 fuel to name those. (You know how I've mentioned having an ORSA extractable fuel resource that is not Dyzalithum? Throw in one or two and I will buy naming rights.)

For you, coops, the development (I am guessing) would not be too bad, as you are adding to the map. You are adding things that exits (jump routes, systems, locations, etc.). If there are no new techs and resources, you would be working with existing code. While re-making the map may be an issue, my guess is the largest issue is handling payment and doing the negotiations.

And this may be a horrible idea for reasons I am not aware. I will freely admit that I could be very wrong about this, and I have no issues being shot down. :mrgreen:

Thank you for your time.
Coops
Site Admin

Re: Coops, go big! Sell a star!

Post by Coops »

I'd normally wait for a response to this from a few of your fellow Exiles first before responding, but I feel there is no harm is stating that this is 'Do-able' and as a 'supporter / donator' aspect may gain traction with some. Only issues is with creating Galaxies and Systems and Planets is that they pretty much have to be know upfront.

This would mean we would have to plan out and publish the slots in the game upfront. Then let players purchase those naming rights. But we wouldn't be able to actually deploy the Galaxy rill the last parts were supported.

So on the surface I'm game (excuse the pun) and any support avenue is welcome at this stage.

For this to work or be a viable time sink it would need some support from the Player base first.

Coops

Update after some extra thinking: We could create the Galaxy FIRST - so we would only need the Galaxy Name, and System names. But after that the planets could be named at a later date. There is some extra work involved and we would only be able to add mission generating offices once a planet had been fully named.
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
Sukayo
CE Official Supporter

Post by Sukayo »

hm ... this attracted in other crowd financed games a nice income IMO, so why not here?
Korth
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Post by Korth »

Would be interested in a wormhole, depending where from/to.
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

Still mulling this over in my over cooked brain. It could be a cool addition to CE, but it does need to be thought out and balanced.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
saint

Post by saint »

I think this is a cool concept