9 Year Itch Update

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
Zoorland

Re: 9 Year Itch Update

Post by Zoorland »

MarcSp wrote:Or shrink down the avatar image, like by 25% each dimension, you can put
capt name, level, or something else in that space.
Aye, the captain avatar and the new location images are both a bit... expansive. They could certainly go for a trim with some basic info added back in to the vacated margin.

On a related note, I can not wait for the next set of avatar images to be added. At this rate I might have to select a female avatar just because it's so discomforting having any of those wiry male hipster avatars staring at me all day. :lol: Goodness, the ladies get some real nice choices but all of the remotely attractive male NPC images seem to be absent from our choices. Hoping the grey-haired old man with a beard and glasses demographic gets a choice soon, myself.
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Post by jcheung »

Zoorland wrote:
MarcSp wrote:Or shrink down the avatar image, like by 25% each dimension, you can put
capt name, level, or something else in that space.
Aye, the captain avatar and the new location images are both a bit... expansive. They could certainly go for a trim with some basic info added back in to the vacated margin.
i do wonder now if it's possible to darken images a little and park text over the images (the giant location image at least) for the ticker while docked... i looked at the ticker very little, even less now that it opens into a new window lol
Zoorland

Post by Zoorland »

First off, before anyone gets anything further bent out of shape, please do note that this is specifically being posted into an extant topic on the General Discussions subforum, not Suggestions. :|

The new Tabs are... nnnh... well, they are; but in my mind the CE Guides tab in particular has a few links that just aren't like the others. MMO Serial Hand In, Vote for CE, and Friends List don't really belong.

I can find them, sure, but I'd say that the Friends List would definitely make more sense under Game Info or possibly View Tasks (see an explanation further below, if that strikes you as odd). Vote for CE could slot easily into View Tasks, and there it might even serve as a more reliable reminder. MMO Serial Hand In doesn't scream any specific location from the four tab options, but would feel more at home under Game Info.

Nothing particularly problematic here, they just seem out of place among CE Guides. They're not... well, guides, and they don't seem to have much of anything in common with the other links organized under that tab.

I'm of two minds on Your Schematics and Your Blueprints current location under View Assets as well. I can see the logic behind placing them there and they certainly are not odd men out in the same way as the other three I mentioned above, but at the same time I can't help but feel they'd fit better under View Tasks. On the one hand, well, yes, they are "assets" that your character controls. But everything else under View Assets is something that demands attention. They are things that need to be managed; actively watched. You have to keep an eye on your Snarg. You have to keep an eye on your Extractors. You have to keep an eye on your Harvesters and Factories and Ship Crew and Genesis plot. These are things that have to be monitored so you know when you need to manually maintain them. Your Schematics and Your Blueprints are not things that ever need to be managed in that same way.

The View Tasks Tab, though, mostly contains records and lists. Things you look at to answer simple questions. Do I have Passengers left onboard? Yes. Do I still have to turn in that FOM mission? Yes. Do I have any Combat Missions outstanding? Of course not, don't be silly! Most of these options are also directly or indirectly (Standings and Awards) related to quests/missions. Schematics can certainly be connected to NPC missions. Blueprints not so much, but schematics yes. And, again, they are lists to be checked, not property that needs to be maintained.

So for that reason I do think Your Schematics and Your Blueprints would be better suited to the View Tasks tab. But again, it's not like they are particularly poorly located now.

Any thoughts on that, or other bits of the current organization of the links?
Rexx Shredd

Post by Rexx Shredd »

You know what I like? I love the fact that the new skins and graphics have really brought CE into its own......for a long time, Shields Up/ Core Exiles seemed like it was a faster-paced browser-based free version of EVE....but, over the years, CE has taken a life of its own - and in huge strides,......and this facelift just cements this fact....in many ways, the facelift was overdue; it really should have been done awhile back...No matter: its here and gives CE its own modernized unique identity (and I stil like the fact that I can Gate through 20 Systems in CE in 30 seconds ......Gating 20 Systems in EVE took 30 minutes!! :mrgreen: )
Holiday
CE Official Supporter

Post by Holiday »

I'll say it...maybe i'm the only one but I'm okay with that.

I like the face lift more then the older, for one the ability for me to see loads of new things with my screen reader is great. now I can tell how long something has left at a collection point, I can tell what planets are blocked from landing at without having to try to dock, and I can see services offered at each settlement before I dock there. all that was invisible to me before. personally when I first saw the drop down lists were gone I hugged my pillow and cried myself to sleep...but then I figured, well ce is a good game and even if things are in different places well that didn't change the game any, I can still do the exact same things. yeah, I can't see the screen so the layout isn't really going to bother me..so I have a solution for everyone else. put on a blindfold, go download NVDA a screen reader that's free, and then play with it. if you manage to get your browser open and play ce you'll realize it's not that big of a deal. sometimes folks just need a different perspective...from someone who doesn't ever have a perspective.

I'll be the first to admit I wasn't in favor of some things added to game or changed, but this is just a different way of looking at something, the game is still exactly the same. so don't read to far into this...just my thoughts and non-perspective.
Holiday
Founder of Tombstone in Tornsul
proprietor of The VP Mercantile
almost allways mostly sober...sometimes