9 Year Itch Update

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
Achilleos
CE Official Supporter

9 Year Itch Update

Post by Achilleos »

Just my thoughts on the update, I like it with one exception - I'd prefer the main playing screen to be bigger.
There does seem to be room for an increase in size as there is sufficient space to the left and right without interfering with the side tabs and also sufficient space below to increase the height.

Also as we have the cargo space displayed would it be possible to display the available passenger space ?, I know us passenger haulers are in the minority but it would certainly be beneficial to see the space rather than having to log into the passenger office.
Bloodskye
CE Official Supporter

Re: 9 Year Itch Update

Post by Bloodskye »

I like the new interface. I don't have any exceptions yet, but I reserve the right to have exceptions in the future. I also like the new graphics on some of the loot items.
You read my sig. That's enough social interaction for one day.
Zoorland

Post by Zoorland »

Achilleos wrote:Also as we have the cargo space displayed would it be possible to display the available passenger space?
From my perspective, the new Ship Details mouse-over icon is kind of pointless and could certainly be replaced with this. I'd much rather have the Ship Details bit (Specials/Pods is the only new info) added to the Ship Stats section of the Captain Bio instead. Especially since the Ship Details icon and mouse-over doesn't even list empty or remaining special slots or pod points, only the max, which is... not particularly useful info.

As for the interface in general... I will endeavor not to complain about everything. That's the best I got, sorry. :oops:

Toward that end, it's really best if I just mosey off for now.
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Post by jcheung »

Achilleos wrote:Just my thoughts on the update, I like it with one exception - I'd prefer the main playing screen to be bigger.
There does seem to be room for an increase in size as there is sufficient space to the left and right without interfering with the side tabs and also sufficient space below to increase the height.
me too... i've got about 2 inches of clearance on either side :lol:
Pablem
CE Official Supporter

Post by Pablem »

jcheung wrote:
Achilleos wrote:Just my thoughts on the update, I like it with one exception - I'd prefer the main playing screen to be bigger.
me too... i've got about 2 inches of clearance on either side :lol:
and I like layering my windows to I can watch chat, play the game, and work in my spreadsheets. Widening the play screen would be a bad thing.
Shipbuilder Pablem Chief Entrepreneur, Citrus Enterprises
HQ located at Citrus Pass, Tig
Career Crafter
Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops »

The width has been set for several very good reasons. The game is a browser game, meaning it can e played on just about any machine with a standardised browser. Because of this the majority of our players play on older hardware from all around the world. Many of these STILL don't have a screen resolution larger that 1024 Wide. (Amazing but goggle analytic is telling us so).

So we always coded for that width minus a scroll bar. This update fixed that width. Also for development of screens its good to know how much space we have to place items on the screen. This change again standardises that width and allows us to cater for it.

The game was originally intended to be played in the pop up launcher from the main .com landing page. Of course these days those of you who are old hands don't use that and have book marked the logion screen.

We have to cater for the 'smallest' resolution we feel is right and it seems that a lot of you STILL have 1024 as a max resolution. Those of us with larger resolutions - well I guess we are just lucky and should be grateful.

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Post by jcheung »

*grumble* now i have to debate setting to a lower resolution :roll:
MarcSp

Post by MarcSp »

I concur with Zoorland, the "Ship Details" info is pointless and should be replaced.
Likewise the adjacent "Captain Level" icon, I rarely care what level I am at anymore.
Both of those should be in the bio area, and this frees up two icons for other information.
And I'd prefer cargo as used/total or avail/total. The current display makes it too easy to
forget you have some cargo onboard, I've already missed a ashar delivery cause I thought
my holds were empty.
jcheung
CE Official Supporter

Post by jcheung »

i agree with marc's view there, however, i think capt level should stay somewhere visible, maybe overwrite it onto the xp bar?
MarcSp

Post by MarcSp »

Or shrink down the avatar image, like by 25% each dimension, you can put
capt name, level, or something else in that space.