Mobile devices

General Discussions about Core-Exiles and pretty much anything off-topic. All we ask when posting, is that you remember we have a family audience.
Afarticus

Mobile devices

Post by Afarticus »

Hi Coops,

I have read the post around Mobile Phones and tablets here viewtopic.php?f=32&t=515&sid=8721c74a4b ... 5cb0567406, this post is ±3 years old and mobile internet is now even more fully embedded in our daily lives.

Yet when I want to check my extractors and corporations to kick the captains and folks to get back to work :), I first need to open my workstation, start it up, login and then can start kicking them...
I am also travelling regularly and only taking my mobile phone with me ...

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards,
Captain Afarticus
Coops
Site Admin

Re: Mobile devices

Post by Coops »

/response from the hip : Sure if the player base kicks in to action and supports us sufficiently to go through over 4000 pages of code and verify it works on ALL the mobile browsers out there I'll get right on it.

/more mature response : CE is an old school browser game, it's first roots were written over 11 years ago. To modernise ALL the code and ensure it displays and functions on all browsers and devices is a task that even large companies don't manage to attain.

I'm ONE guy with minimal support trying to make things work for as many players as I can. whilst maintain functionality for the Blind and VI as well.

Project Terran was started a few years aback specifically for the reasons you raise, its a game that is designed from the ground up to work on mobile platforms as well as desktop platforms. The methods and systems in place there could be used here but it would mean a MASSIVE effort that sadly one guy cannot do.

The constant page loads in CE do NOT make it a good mobile browser client and whilst we wont stop you playing CE on your mobile we urge you not to as with the ton of data passed back and forth on each page click you are asking to loose something on a slow loading data page or dropped page.

Having said that - on a GOOD solid phone connection I KNOW that countless players do play CE. Our stand point after 11 years of 'Where did my mining laser go? or why am I missing half my Structure Points'. CE is not a game designed nor supported for Mobile use. Would you rather this single dev work all day solving players missing items and borked accounts or develop more of CE.

I'm in NOW WAY having a dig, but we don't post things for fun without good reason.I spend an inordinate amount of my time working on resolving players issues WHEN they play by phone. Tablets seem to be slightly more stable and tend to drop out far less, but I still spend a lot of my time fixing mobile player issues.

Regards Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!
james t kirk

Post by james t kirk »

I've played ce before on my iPhone and iPad respectively in the passed and it seemed to work then.

there are some browsers that can simulate a desktop browser. for example, downloads and downloads hd for IOS. have you tried anything like that?
Afarticus

Post by Afarticus »

Thanks Coops and fully understand your views.
If I understand correctly the main problem is not so much the mobile platform/browser but much more the connection e.g. data flowing back and forth and due to possible bad connection losing data in between and hence leading to actual issues.

Captain Kirk, I think its less then the simulation of a desktop browser but more to ensure good stable wifi/4G connection.