New community on Discord?

Help on joining in the Core-Exiles community chat. We run a 24X7 dedicated Discord chat server. You can connect with the in game chat which opens in a browser or via one of their many desktop apps.
Sukayo

New community on Discord?

Post by Sukayo » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:10 pm

Hi,

anybody already using Discord? IMO it is way better than IRC, and possible usable also with CE. Some of our old chatters are today staying away because it is too quiet - a change could possible improve that.

Coops
Site Admin

Re: New community on Discord?

Post by Coops » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:08 am

Cant say I'd Heard of it before but looks interesting. There are a lot of questions about the system we would need to clarify and I suppose the first being if the VI / Blind could use it. Then if we could open a chat session directly to it from CE and PT.

I does look very clean and intuitive. Voice for those that want it typing for those that don't etc.

Plus I think it really depends on what time of day you hit the game as to how many players you will find in chat. Akin to Forums only a small iceberg percentage use the forums or chat as they play 'solo' and prefer it that way.

Our average each day at peak times is around 20+ players in chat but that's an average. ATM there are 4 in there lol.

You can tell how many players are there but don't normally chat, by the influx of players who nip in raise an arm, claim a prize and leave when i do my Coops 'giveaways'. Communal chat is not for everyone, which is a shame as we get to know players and they get to be aided the best when they do commune in chat.

Be interested to see others thoughts on discord.

Created a channel here if anyone wants to test it : https://discord.gg/Wtj2jH4

Coops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.
The fact that I'm dragging a body behind me should be irrelevant!

Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:51 am

did a quick bit of research and seems currently discord desktop app doesn't work for the Blind. Not sure about there default web browser window. Would need a VI player with Jaws or FS to let us know.

https://feedback.discordapp.com/forums/ ... s-app-with

I will keep the channel create above open for anyone to test. Leaving my default Coops ID logged in on my Imac. (yes they ave a Mac app too) :)

Cops
A Walk in the Woods helps me relax and release the tension from a hard day at the code.

Sukayo

Post by Sukayo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:51 am

Hi Coops,

i also contacted the devs behind Discord, will post here what options are available for blind players there.

Sukayo

Post by Sukayo » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:33 pm

Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:27 am

I've asked a few members of our VI community to test the web side of the chat to see if its possible for them to use the standard browser version at this point.

Coops

Sukayo

Post by Sukayo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:19 am

Siddharth provided some feedback, here the answer:

Hey Sukayo,

Thank you very much for the feedback! That is great stuff! : ) As already stated in the reddit post, we are intending to improve the accessibility of Discord in the future, even though we can not give an estimate as to when that will be. Nonetheless, I have forwarded your feedback to our developers, so they might consider it when working on improving the accessibility in the future.

I want to use this to also direct you towards our feedback page: feedback.discordapp.com. I have screened the page for a bit and there are at least a couple ideas that in some way or another support accessibility for people. An easy example would be to work on a colorblind mode. Please feel free to have a look at this page, vote for ideas you deem interesting or even submit ideas yourself. Given that you have a community behind you, you could give your own ideas a headstart by voting them up together, and you can also inform me if you have submitted an idea and I might just throw my vote in as well!

If you have any further feedback, or just questions regarding Discord, please do not hesitate to contact us again any time! Hope you have a great weekend! : )

Coops
Site Admin

Post by Coops » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:22 am

So far I've had feedback from three Blind / VI players who play ?CE and have used Discord and they all can use and navigate the Discord Browser version. One was positively chuckling with glee at the chance to use a chat that works for him for a change.

Coops

siddharth

Post by siddharth » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:58 pm

thanks sukyo and coops in looking in this :) .
tried the new chat pc software and buttons where not label and no way to operate that by my current screen reader software .

for the browser yes its able to get me in but it does not let us when the incomeing msg comes able to read the lines with short cut key as we use chat clients .
so we have to scroll the to chat window and there is no way to know that new msg is posted so we have to constantly review the page up and down so its ok for 5 min chat problems but if some vi player is going to ask more then one question he will soon get tired with browser chat client atleast that what I feel .
looking forward for more screen reader support from the new chat client as it look intresting hope they can do more to resolve its support for us .
Only truth prevails, not untruth; by the path of truth is laid out, the Divine
way upon which the sages of the past fulfilled their desires, in attaining the supreme
treasure of Truth.