Heading

A section for the Blind or Visually Impaired to chat and discuss screen-readers and Braille systems. When posting here please ensure you remember the target audience.
siddharth

Heading

Post by siddharth »

can CE can have Heading tag to directly jump to different section of CE parts of page .
think all screen reader support heading jumps and it will really make a screen reader user navigateing CE way faster then current time.
currently there is 4tab we have to jump to each time if it could be implemented we can move and jump to any section of game . .
just a suggestion . be glad if it could be implemented one day :)
Only truth prevails, not untruth; by the path of truth is laid out, the Divine
way upon which the sages of the past fulfilled their desires, in attaining the supreme
treasure of Truth.
siddharth

Re: Heading

Post by siddharth »

additional info:
H1 can be Headline
H2 can be main display of stats
H3 Secure stores at dock and could be panel of nei repair etc if we undock .
and so on so we can directly jump to that part of game
way upon which the sages of the past fulfilled their desires, in attaining the supreme
treasure of Truth.
Prev
Site Admin

Post by Prev »

This is nowhere near as simple as you are suggesting, and would require many hours of work to implement as it will affect just about every page of code in the game.

You appear to be the only screen reader user that is having such major issues.. perhaps you need to check your reader settings ?
siddharth

Post by siddharth »

I might be the only screen reader which got problem but its on on my both laptop and desktop and people who installed we also got same problem .
how about thinking that jaws and window eye works differently.
mostly for we works out of box and never I had change much of setting and I never faced any problem before updates . am trying best to resolve at my end still.
treasure of Truth.
Holiday
CE Official Supporter

Post by Holiday »

I can agree with this, you have to realize that screen reader navigation, not just one but all of them base navigational jumps on a page by different elements. where elements are things like buttons, check boxes, radio buttons, headings, and less often lists, graphics, and place markers or anchors. typically table jumps are useable too but not on a table rich webpage. I know what sidd is talking about as yes navigation has become more difficult with the addition of the tabs. when there was drop down boxes one button would jump a screen readers focus to that drop down box; for me I would just hit the "C" button and it would jump to the first available combo box or wrap from bottom to the first at the top of the page. you have to think of using a screen reader as the same as only being able to see one word or line of text on a web page at a time. every time you hit the "tab" button it shows you the next word on the page, or by hitting "shift+tab" to see the previous word on a page. so if you wanted to click on a link that was half way down a page you have to hit the tab button multiple multiple times, or find it through hot keys built into the screen reader, or by doing a virtual find. JAWS does a virtual find but I'm not aware of how other screen readers execute this command. your options for finding a specific link are to keep hitting "u" with jaws to jump by unvisited links, "V" to jump by unvisited links, or to do a virtual find to find a text string on the page.

when I want to open one of the tabs I open jaws virtual find and search for "tab " the space is very important or it will just jump to every table on the screen as they all start with "tab" this brings you to assets tab as it has a space after the text, or you can search for "m t" which will make your screen reader jump to "system tab" searching for the "m t" in-between the two words. without the combo boxes and as buttons seem to becoming filtered out the best way for navigation is a constant virtual find or similar functions with other readers.

yeah I would love headings or frames as those are easy to jump between and cut up page content into nice categories, but if it isn't worth the work then you'll have to think outside the box and get creative with how you navigate and find certain things on the new CE pages. I can say that I don't believe there is any setting in any screen readers that will make it easier as it isn't a setting issue, but a element issue and the elements on the pages which readers can jump by easily aren't there anymore. it'll be awkward at first but I think with time it'll be natural.
Holiday
Founder of Tombstone in Tornsul
proprietor of The VP Mercantile
almost allways mostly sober...sometimes
siddharth

Post by siddharth »

can my previous suggestion of exit and return button be relooked to improve navigation .
for example in collection point if there is no item then both exit is a link for such time having the last exit being button will mean we pressing just "B" and we be placed to exit on that screen . lot of such section I think got none buttons to make navigation way easier .
for currently as all is link we need to tab or press that much "l" to get to it.
does lande marke be applied to help navigations and could take less code time to jump to different section of page ? if it a simple alternative ?
treasure of Truth.
zorde

Post by zorde »

I agree that headings would make navigation a whole lot easier but I also realize how much effort and work it would take to implament them. I am actually not using a screen reader but a braillenote and an iPad to play and I haven't encountered many problems. I always set my rotor to form controls or links. Perhaps what they could do is put in a skip to main content link, that would probably still take a lot of work. But I think the game is pretty easy to navigate once you get the hang of it, you have the stats like location and then you have four links then the main content of the spacific page. Anyway that's just my opinion. Thanks