Hello from Steerpike

New to Core-Exiles - Say hello and claim your reward! New players read the announcement within this section on how to claim your 20,000 Credits!
Steerpike

Hello from Steerpike

Post by Steerpike »

Hi everyone,

Just started playing within the last week. Still going through the NPC missions (starting on crafting) and generally getting my bearings. I have lots of questions :D
  • I understand what people do is fairly open-ended but what are some examples of what folks are up to once they've played the game for a while?
  • How do guilds work?
  • How does the game economy work? Do players produce things that other players want/buy?
Thank you all!
Elkhorn
CE STAFF
CE STAFF

Re: Hello from Steerpike

Post by Elkhorn »

hey Steerpike. Welcome to the game!
Many players choose a Primary profession - let's say mining. They do FOM mining missions, sell ores on the GBM (galactic buyers market) and in general, just have fun. If they choose they can also do a little crafting, (so they can build their own cargo upgrades, etc.) or they might do some exploration, etc.
I haul cargo and mine as my primary professions. I also have my ship outfitted for passenger hauling and will do some of that to break things up a little. There are more than enough IP points to spread around, though you want to be fairly conservative to start out.
Guilds are just gatherings of people under a specific group. There are some benefits for being in a guild, but you can play solo. You just go to Jarris Outpost in Fieron and apply to one that suits your fancy.
Game Economy - the number one rule is never sell to Joes supplies! There is usually a buyer on the GBM. If not stop by the chat. Many of us will buy your stuff just to help out a new player!
I'm sure other players will add their input to this. There is no right or wrong profession and there are no "dead end" professions. COOPS keeps the game rocking for everyone!
Elkhorn
Rule of Acquisition #1 Once you have their money...never give it back!
MarcSp

Post by MarcSp »

Hello Captain Steerpike, welcome to Core Exiles.

Elkhorn pretty much covered it. I'd add: medium to higher level players also spend a lot of effort
developing a settlement (or two), plus a genesis development, and a corporation. Those are major
effort and resource sinks. There are also custom (player-made) ships to grow into, plus stuff like
mining barges, mech wars, planetary exploration, etc.

As for economy: DONT SELL TO JOES. Somebody will buy or want pretty much everything you can accumulate.
Keep an eye on the GBM, check in on chat, and the forums (here and the ingame forum). Remember that you
can accumulate indefinitely - there's no cost for storage. And you can always just donate stuff to your guild stores,
or just help out a new player with their needs. Just know that whenever there is a new expansion to the game,
once or twice a year, there is usually a major rush on the markets for resources. Thats when to cash in.
Steerpike

Post by Steerpike »

Thank you both. That was very helpful and exactly what I was hoping to understand. I'll keep doing the NPC missions and will almost certainly be back with more questions :)
John Carter Barsoom

Post by John Carter Barsoom »

Hi Steerpike,

I'm a new player (since January 2018), and I'm at level 33. I would add a couple of points from a new person's perspective.

After you learn the basic principles of the game (level 5+), by playing the basic scenarios, you might want to consider joining a guild. Guild's have resources and mentors that can help you advance in the game more quickly and have more fun. I joined the Aesir guild, and I am quite pleased with it: there are 10%+ bonuses on credits and experience, plenty of mentoring if you ask, plenty of written materials to study, a loan program to buy a better ship, and no one pushing you to give them money or services just for joining. You can join and do nothing else and collect the 10%+ bonuses on credits and experience. But, it's more enjoyable to participate and help others. Contact a player by the name of Locknload for more information.

As for the economy: My primary way to make money in the game is by transporting passengers. I do a wee bit of combat to round out the bank account, and I sell all of my loot at Joe's Supplies. I like the convenience of selling to Joe's, and I don't mind their prices because I make most of my money in transportation of passengers.

Enjoy the game.

John Carter Barsoom